January 2023 Minutes

Z-pc logo

Eagle & Swinethorpe Parish Council

Minutes of Eagle & Swinethorpe Parish Council meeting held on Wednesday 25th January 2023 at 7.45pm in Eagle Village Hall.

Present Cllr Colin Campbell – Chair, Cllr Jane Wallis – Vice Chair, Cllr David Parkes, Cllr Jane Fulton-Sutton, Cllr Michael Chennells & Cllr Bernadette Grayson.

Rachel Popplewell – Clerk

Cllr Peter Overton – District Councillor

3 members of public

Cllr Overton made comment that nomination forms are now available to be downloaded for the elections in May 2023 from the Electoral Commission or NKDC website.

Insulation grants are available from NKDC for qualifying properties.

Damon Blackband, the Sustrans Regional Network Development Manager for Lincolnshire, gave a small presentation about his role in and around Lincolnshire. His job is to make cycle routes more accessible and safer for the public to use. The route from Eagle – Harby on the last inspection had been graded as dangerous, due to traffic and road conditions. He would like to carry out a feasibility study to identify ways in which the route can be made safer and then implement the recommendations. The project would take approx. 12/18 months to implement, with funds & management coming from central government.

The Parish Council are keen to support the project and would welcome any recommendations for improving the cycle network.

Thanks were passed on Mr Blackband. 

Agenda items.

1.   Welcome & Apologies.

The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

Apologies were received from Cllr Parkin & Cllr Ray; it was Resolved to accept the apologies and reasons for absence – All agreed show of hands.

Apologies were received from Cllr Thompson – County Councillor.

2.   To receive Declarations of Interest under the Localism Act 2011 – being any pecuniary interest in agenda items not previously recorded on Members’ Register of Interest and requests for dispensations.

None received.

3.   Notes of the Parish Council meeting held on Wednesday 21st December 2022to be approved as minutes.

It was Resolved to approve the notes as minutes and a true record – All agreed. 

Signed by the Chair.

4.   Clerks Update & Correspondence, and to Resolve to agree any subsequent actions.

The Clerk asked the Councillors to set the date for the Annual Parish meeting, as it needed to be held between 01.03.2023 – 01.06.2023. 8th March 2023 was proposed. Clerk to check hall availability.

Action Clerk.  

The Clerk made comment that her appraisal was due before the end of the financial year, Chair of the Personnel Committee was asked to arrange.

Action Cllr Parkes.

The Clerk made comment that all Parish & District Councillors are up for election on May 4th, 2023, briefings and nomination papers are available from North Kesteven District Council. The Clerk offered to collect nomination papers from the briefing on 22.02.2023, these must be hand delivered once completed back to the District Council.

The Annual Parish Council meeting, in an election year must be held within 14 days of the election, Therefore the May meeting would need to be brought forward by 1 week to the 24th of May 2023. (Clerk to check hall availability)

Action Clerk. 

The new parish council Logo, needed to be designed and made into an accessible format that can used on the website and on letterheads.

Action Cllr Wallis/Cllr Campbell.

A request had been received from the volunteers who had organised the new War Memorial, as they needed to move the story board to a new location. The parish council approved a grant of £500 for the project of which only £375 had been spent. They have asked for the remaining £125 to move the board. It was Resolved to approve the request – All agreed, show of hands.

The clerk made comment that a new grit bin has been installed on Thorpe Lane. The residents who will be using the bin, would like confirmation that they would not be liable if an accident occurs after they have spread the grit on the road.

Action Clerk.

5.   Finance

a.   To approve the annual subscription of £254.33, to Lincolnshire Association of Local Councils.

It was Resolved to approve the annual subscription – all agreed, show of hands.

b.   To approve the annual subscription of £115.00 to LALC’s training scheme.

It was Resolved to approve the annual subscription to the training scheme – all agreed, show of hands.

c.   To authorise the signing of orders for payment, note bank balances & any monies received (list previously circulated).

The Councillors considered the list previously circulated. It was Resolved to approve the following orders for payment – All agreed. Proposed Cllr Campbell – seconded Cllr Parkes.

Cllr Parkes to approve the payments online.

Action DP.







EAGLE Village Hall





YU energy (direct debit)





YU energy (direct debit)










Opus Energy (direct debit)





LALC training scheme





LALC – annual subs
























Bank Accounts at 30.12.2022

Bank Accounts at 31.12.2021

Current account - £1,900.90

Current account - £6,462.02

Playing field account - £126.31

Playing field account - £183.68

Savings account - £21,904.81

Savings account - £17,068.27

d.   To receive the bank reconciliation for the 31.12.2022

The clerk presented the Bank reconciliation showing the accounts balanced as at 31.12.2022, signed by Cllr Wallis.

e.   To review the budget as at 31.12.2022

The Clerk made comment that the Parish Council was at 86% of target as at 31.12.2022. (Should be 75%). The slight over spends due to repairs to the playing field footpaths.

6.   To consider the budget and Resolve to set the Precept for the financial year 2023/2024.

The Clerk presented the budget to Council, after discussions it was Resolved to propose a Precept of £21,961. an increase of 16.69%. In monetary terms this is an annual increase of £10.82 on a band D property.

All Agreed – show of hands

Action Clerk.

7.   To review the following policies.

a.   Equality Policy

b.   Donations & Grants Policy

c.   Emergency Plan.

After discussions it was Resolved to review & accept the policies with no amendments – All agreed, show of hand.

8.   Eagle Eye update & future options.

Cllr Wallis made comment that the Eagle Eye would need to be an online publication only due to the lack of funds for the printing costs. 

Corporate sponsorship & admin help had been received from a local business which now enables the next edition to be printed. This hopefully would be the plan moving forward, to get corporate sponsorship on a regular basis. It had become apparent that the paper version of the magazine was the most popular. 

Cllr Wallis had taken on the interim editor’s role, to help get the Eagle Eye back on track.

Cllr Wallis asked that the full £150 donation from the Parish Council be sent across as soon as possible.

Action Clerk.

The Chair passed his thanks onto Cllr Wallis for helping with the magazine, which was considered a valued asset of the community.

9.   Commemorative Platinum Jubilee Tree update.

Cllr Chennells made comment that the tree and tree guard had been purchased. Cllr Wallis offered to review the location with Cllr Chennells, prior to the tree being planted. Cllr Ray has sourced the plaque.

Action Cllr Wallis & Cllr Chennells.

10.   To discuss new village/road signage for Eagle Hall.

Cllr Chennells made comment that the residents of Eagle Hall would like to install new road signs to identify the area. They would need the support of the parish council for any applications they submit for grant funding. 

The parish council supported the request - designs & costings to follow. 

11.   Village Hall Update

Cllr Parkes made comment that new trustees & committee members are being appointed at the Annual General Meeting in February.

Cllr Parkes made comment that the Village Hall Committee, are going to redecorate the village hall and install/renovate the path at the side of the hall.

12.   Kings Coronation Celebration

The Chair made comment that no volunteers had come forward to organise an event for the village. The Village Hall may be open for tea & coffee during the Coronation Ceremony.

13.   Items for the next agenda.

Nothing Noted.
14.   Date & time of next meeting 

Wednesday 22nd February 2023 (7.30pm arrive to set up, meeting starts 7.45pm).

Meeting closed 9pm.